Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sparrows have worries too



Watching the sparrows out my window, I learn something of a sparrow's worries. I've given them a gift, a steady supply of seed to help them through the winter. But they approach the feeder cautiously. Over the past month, they have quietly made their way to the feeder, and quietly left. They don't approach it directly, either. First, they land in the upper branches of my cedar, then in the cool, green dark, they hop ever closer to the goal. Even as they eat they are cautious, taking a quick look around before they crack a seed.


Why such caution? Because others are watching as well. We now have cat-visitors to my yard. More than once I've caught a strange cat sitting in our basement wheel well, intent on that feeder, so temptingly close above.


"What is the price of five sparrows? A couple pennies? Yet God does not forget a single one of them". - Luke 12:6.


I am sure God is not tracking them with the same intensity as a cat. And with another motive altogether. Why does God care about the sparrow?


Note also, the sparrow does not throw caution to the wind, even if God is watching.